wacky service lights

'84 325e's service light problem.
When I put my key into the ignition, prior to start up, my service indicator lights all light up
normally however.........
Some times the lights stay off, and sometimes 4 green ones stay on.
There doesn't seem to be any consistency as to when this occurs. Does anyone have any ideas why
this could happen. The car runs fine in either case.
thanks
Henry

P.S. thanks to all who offered suggestions on my wiper problem. It turned out that the wiper arm
(ribbed) hole had worn down, and was enlarged. As the wiper motor was running, the pressure of the
arm against the body molding where the bolt comes through the hood was causing it to interfere
with the arm moving freely. Problem is fixed.
http://greetings.yahoo.com/