Wheels for 85 535i

Hi everyone,
                    I have an 85 535i with the infamous TRX wheels. I
need to get new tires and have a line on a set of 14" factory mags that
I haven't seen yet but sound like a good deal. Now I'm reading on the
Digest that it's hard to get high performance tires in 14" any more so I
am wondering if it is a good idea to get 14" rims. I don't want or need
really high end tires but I have heard good things about Bridgestone
Potenzas and similar brands and don't want to find out after I get these
rims that I only have a few options because they are 14". Another
question I have is: do larger (and particularly wider) tires put extra
stress on the steering box, power steering pump, suspension, etc. of a
car. When a car is designed with a certain size wheel/tire combination
by the engineers, doesn't it cause a problem to change to a much bigger
or wider style? T.I.A.
                    rzimmerm@domain.elided