Re: WIPER MOTOR

Henry,

If you try to follow the Bentley instructions for removing the motor, you'll
find it's impossible.

In order to remove the motor, you'll need to do it blindly.  Use a mirror to
see the bolts that must be removed to detach the motor from the wiper arm
mechanism.

Here are some links you may find useful:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/wipers.html

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e30/electrical/e30_wiper_problem_solved.html

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e30/exterior/e30_wiper_linkage_r_r.html

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e30/exterior/e30_wipers_stick.html

If you don't already have it, you should get the Bentley manual for the E30.

My wipers stopped working, and I suspected the motor.  I pulled the motor
out, opened it up, cleaned up the grease, re-lubed it, and it worked.  The
tricky part is to re-install the motor properly, which means getting the
wipers in the parked position, and cycle the motor (prior to attaching it to
the wiper mechanism), so it's in the parked position.  If you don't do this,
your wipers won't stop in the proper position.  Ask me how I know....  :-(

Good luck,

- -rb