Re: Tires and Wheels

Personally i feel that at least with lowered e30s, that the stock 14" wheels
w/ tall sidewalls look pretty bad.  simply put, my '88 325iS w/ turner race
springs looks a whole lot better with 17" SSRs and 215/40/17 HTR-Z II tires
than it did with 14" basketweaves and 205/60/14 AVS-Is.  I doubt that the
trend of going w/ larger wheels is really much of a trend at all.  17"
wheels now-a-days are not nearly as radical as they were even 5yrs ago...and
with the new e65 7 coming out w/ optional 19" inch wheels, i don't see much
indication that the "trendy kick" will be reversed anytime soon.  Good luck
with changing your wheels if that's what you decide to do :O)

- -jason mccowan
ncc 143874
'94 540i - bilstein sports w/ eibachs...waiting for 18" M-Parallels
'88 325iS - bilstein sports w/ turner race springs...17" SSRs (street), 14"
basketweaves w/ kumhos (track)

> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:45:45 -0500
> From: ToMoyer@domain.elided
> Subject: RE:  Tires and Wheels
>
> Well group, lets see how others feel that own older BMW's with stock 14"
> wheels.  Did you know that if you want high performance tires now that you
> will have to spend the extra money to upgrade to 15" wheels or larger?
The
> only 14" tires available are all-season tires which to me are totally
> unacceptable.  Everyone is on the "trendy" kick of plus 2 or more
> wheel/tire packages that in most cases do not look right on the car -
> brakes too small, too much wheel and so little tire, not to mention that
> there is a point where too small a sidewall will detract from handling
> performance, especially if the car has been lowered and stiffer shocks and
> springs, and sway bars used, the car will actually momentarily leave the
> ground over bumps, thus no traction.
<SNIP>