RE: Tires and Wheels

Well group, lets see how others feel that own older BMW's with stock 14"
wheels.  Did you know that if you want high performance tires now that you
will have to spend the extra money to upgrade to 15" wheels or larger?  The
only 14" tires available are all-season tires which to me are totally
unacceptable.  Everyone is on the "trendy" kick of plus 2 or more
wheel/tire packages that in most cases do not look right on the car -
brakes too small, too much wheel and so little tire, not to mention that
there is a point where too small a sidewall will detract from handling
performance, especially if the car has been lowered and stiffer shocks and
springs, and sway bars used, the car will actually momentarily leave the
ground over bumps, thus no traction. Another down side to this trend is
that in most cases you are not saving any rotational weight at all, as the
larger wheels and their tires weigh nearly as much and in some cases more
than the smaller wheels and tires they are replacing.  Not to mention, in
many areas of the country, such as the north eastern US and the upper mid
west, where there is winter damage to road surfaces, there is always the
possibility of damaging the larger, more expensive wheels than the stock.
For years I've been running Yokohoma AVS Intermediates and now that they
have been replaced with newer, better models, find that nothing is
available from any manufacturer that is similar.  I hate to be forced to
follow a "trend" that has more downsides than pluses;  extra expense of 5
wheels, more cost per tire and perfectly good BBS 14" wheels sitting on the
garage floor taking up space.  Even the offering of 15" high performance
tires is some what limited now, but there are quite a few choices in 16",
17", 18" and even 19".  So the question, go for 15" wheels (not too many
styles to choose from anymore) and hope that the next time tires are needed
that there are still 15" high performance tires available, while adding a
bit of handling performance and still having some forgiveness in the seat
of your pants, or spend even more money for 16" wheels and tires, get
marginal performance on rougher roads, but "look" cool to the "tuning
trendy" crowd?  Now don't get me wrong, the all-season tires that are
available in 14" are great for most people;  in my case I use Yokohoma Avid
V4s on my '84 318i and '85 318i and these are more than enough tire for
these cars, especially since both are automatics.  But for a '91 318is or
even 325is, these tires just don't make it.  Like to hear what other owners
think regarding this topic.  Sorry Richard if I used the Digest as a
sounding board.

happy motoring,
tom
BMWCCA Member