From: owner-bmw@domain.elided [mailto:owner-bmw@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
John Bolhuis
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 12:28 PM
To: bmw@domain.elided
Subject: Re: what liter and brake ind lights

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Paul Frederick wrote:

> Second question. I have two panel lights that come on(well one
> stays on).  The brake panel indicator looks like this (O)which
> stays on, and the other one that blinks on when I change gear is
> the brake fluid indicator. I looked at the brake fluid in the
> reservoir and it may be a little below the line.  My questions are
> does the (O) indicator mean that the brake pads are low and does
> this signal come from the brake pad wear sensor? Which brake fluid
> is best to use and if Iadd that little bit to the reservoir will
> it resolve turn the lights off?
>
> I don't have access to a lot of tools and I don't have a garage.
> So the most I can maybe do is take the wheels off and take a
> gander at the brake pads.

 Your brake pads are probably worn out, so the brake wear indicator is
lit.  Get the brakes serviced.  When they press the caliper pistons
back to fit the new pads, it will push fluid back into the reservoir
and the level will no longer be low.
 That being said, it's undoubtedly high time for a brake fluid flush
at the time of brake servicing as well.
 As for which light is which, and which fluid to use, owners manual,
owners manual, owners manual!

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro

- --