Re: E36: Aftermarket CD Deck = No sound

Serge,

Did you use a wiring harness adapter, to allow you to connect the
aftermarket radio to the BMW connector that normally hooks to the factory
radio?  This method will take the speaker outputs from the aftermarket
head-end unit and use them to drive the inputs of the BMW amp.  This works
fine (I did this in my '93 E34 525iT, which uses the same radio and amp
system as my '95 E36 M3).  If you didn't use an aftermarket adapter, it's
hard to say whether you have everything wired up properly.

Regarding the 'amp' wire that you referred to....did you hook it up?  I
don't remember the details (it's been nearly two years since the install),
but the lead MAY be to power an antenna amp that boosts the signal from the
rear window antenna.

The other possibility (again, I don't remember the details), is that the
'amp' lead is a remote turn-on for the amp.  If you didn't hook it up,
chances are that you haven't powered the amp.

Again, if you use the aftermarket wiring adapter, it insures that all
necessary wiring is hooked up, and it provides an easy means to swap
aftermarket radios into the car without disturbing the factory wiring.

Check out:

http://www.scosche.com/scosche/

You can buy these (or something similar) from Crutchfield.

- -rb