Re: E36 Stereo no sound

Hi all,

BMW uses a weird floating point ground system in their
stock stereos that are incompatible with aftermarket
ones.  I ran into this while installing a new stereo
in my father's 1994 318i. There are two solutions to
this problem:

1.  Get an adapter harness from Crutchfield or your
local stereo shop (would probably have to special
order).  This is easiest and would get you sound, but
it would be no better than the stock system sound due
to using the factory amps.  Why bother upgrading in
the first place?

2.  Run new wires to your speakers.  This is what I
did.  A pain and time consuming, but the only way to
improve your sound.  Good quality speaker wire is much
better than the tiny wire that the factory uses.

Hope this helps.

Jay Karolyi
1988 325ic
1987 325is for sale http://poseur.4x4.org/bmw.html