E30 Brake Warning light help

The Brake Light warning light on my 1989 325I Convertible (E30) flashes
and continues to do so even after the brakes have been applied. All lights
work including the third brake light on the deck, I have cleaned all
connections and replaced all bulbs with genuine BMW units. I have owned
several BMW
indicator light would go out. Any ideas? Can the relay be defective even
if all the lights work? I have heard of something called a diode that may
also contribute to the problem. Any help is appreciated.

Henry

1989 325ic