Re: head gasket replacement question

Didn't drain the coolant....
Inspected the holes with a flashlight......before and after.

Vacummed each hole with small tubing inserted into a
home vacumm hose stuffed with a rag for sealing.......
only 3 holes had oil needing to be removed.

Hand tighten the screw with fingers to feel for any obstruction
or problem with the threads......used a little 10w-30 oil on the new bolts.
Then torqued it up to spec.

Didn't waste time with carb cleaner/brake cleaner in the bolt holes......
I judged that to be overkill.....

Finished the job at 2 AM, let it warm up for 15 minutes.....and stared at
leak location.

I watched a light trace of oil form at the front of the head gasket, next to
the
timing belt cover below the distributor........

I was told during that the 2.5 and the 2.7 liter M20 family engines teend to
leak.....in this area.
Is this true?

Henri

How did you clean the bolt holes before putting in new bolts and torqueing
them?
I have to tackle this job soon and would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Dale Grose
86 528E 120k

Henri