Re: U-Haul auto transport trailer weight?

The dealership will charge you a premium; find an independant or franchise.
I got mine (97 Dodge Ram) at a place that sold Draw-tite hitches. Other
choices are Reese (pricey) and Putnam. Expect to pay between 120-180 and
maybe 20 for installation. Be sure and ask the place to put on a light
connector (easier to let them do it than do it yourself).

Ratios on that model are 3.55 (stock) and 3.92 (option). 3.92 would be
better for towing but you can get by with 3.55. Forget speed, drive where
the torque exists. On this engine that would be 2500-3500. Best to drive
with OD off if you want to keep your transmission a few years (unless you're
driving in Kansas or Nebraska).

Tie-down is done with either straps or come-alongs. One at each corner
attached to the frame, not the suspension or body parts. Attached to axle is
fine too. I usually tie down the front first to position the vehicle for
tongue weight, then the rear. Have the car in neutral for this operation so
the straps can move it forward and backward as you tighten them. Then put it
in reverse and set the parking brake. The straps should be pulling against
each other with the front straps/chains angles forward and the rear ones
angling rearward. There should be less than about 2-3 inches play either
directions. More than that and you're compressing the suspension (which can
cause damage going over bumps) and less than that and you risk tearing the
car loose under heavy stopping. If you're using straps tie off the end
securely. If come-alongs tie the handle down to the chain. With come-alongs
you can use a padlock to lock the handle down which not only secures the
chain but secures the vehicle. I have no preference on strap or chain.

Not sure what you mean by "tank-slapper." Do you mean sway (trailer going
side-to-side)? If so that is an indication of the tongue weight being too
low. Get the measurement of the trailer's ball height from the ground when
level and tell the trailer installer; he can ensure the trailer will be
approximately level; plus or minus about two inches either direction is
okay.

Since you've towed before you know about giving other cars room, safe
stopping, cross-winds so I won't go into that. Would be really good if the
trailer had brakes; surge or electric.

One final note; as the air flows over your truck's rear it will come down
right about where your car's hood begins carrying with it all kinds of road
dirt (including small gravel). Best solution is a trailer with a front
shield. Second-best is a securely-tied car cover; I'd even go so far as to
secure towels or a blanket under the cover along the front (sort of like a
bra).