Tools for DIYers

Lots of good comments about tools, most of us seem to agree.

I've used mostly S-K tools for thirty years or so, and have been  happy with
them. I do have some Snap-On stuff, because they make tools that others
don't- particularly the 3/8" drive  ratchet handle that is the same size as a
 1/4" drive- very handy, and unique. I also like Snap-On's 3/8" flex handle
ratchets, and a few other specialty items like 1/4" drive universals. Most of
this stuff is for working in the tight confines of BMW engine compartments.
Also, Snap makes hex key sockets that don't have setscrews, so the bits don't
fall out.

I believe Facom now owns S-K, and some of the newer Craftsman stuff looks
like the newer S-K stuff as well, so there is less difference than before. It
is getting hard to buy S-K tools as single pieces, good prices and service on
S-K  tool sets from the catalog house "A and I Supply".

Bottom line, IMHO: Craftsman, S-K, or Proto for most stuff, Snap-On or Mac
for the specialty stuff.

George W. Traminer
Martinez, CA
'89 325i