E46 325i or 318i

I'm in the midst of looking for a replacement for my 1989 E34 525i and
looking at possibility of the
new E46 318i or 325i. Just want to gather some info from all you E46 owners
out there, how is this
new car?. I know the 318i is underpowered and as a minimum I should go for
the 325i but seriously
how bad is it when we say underpowered?

Are there any known problems with the car? Any
recommendations/comments/advice is greatly
appreciated. I would consider the new E39 525i but unfortunately it blows my
budget so thats the
reason I am considering the E46 instead. So if you have any comments at all
may it be bad or good
please feel free to let me know on the new E46 3 series. TIA.

Rgds,
Eugene
E34 525i