Re: Cockeyed drivers seat

On 1/29/02 12:16 PM, "Elcrinv@domain.elided" <Elcrinv@domain.elided> wrote:

> My daughters E30 drivers seat developed a sudden offset (for lack of a better
> word) when she sat in it the other day. Basically, the right side is now a
> little lower than the left causing an offset. Took it out and looked at it,
> tried to pull it back into shape without success. My guess is it is one tooth
> out of being parallel with the other side. I'm hesitant to start pulling it
> apart until I know more about it. E30 manual is no help. Dealer says it can
> be fixed but lots of time involved. Said I could probably do it myself with
> some guidance. Anyone out there BTDT?
> Fred Callender RMC
>
> --
> to be removed from bmw, see /bin/digest-subs.cgi

The weld on the front right up/down mechanism has broken.  Mine has done the
same thing.  If you take out the seat and flip it upside down, you will see
a hinge mechanism that operates the front up/down adjustment.  At the right
side there should be a weld where the rear seat support attaches to the
front hinge.  My seat is broken at this weld causing the right front corner
to drop.  Very noticeable when you rock back and forth.  Try working the
front up/down mechanism while the seat is upside down - you'll see what I
mean.  I've never bothered to fix it, since taking apart the entire seat
bottom would be necessary.  Maybe someday.

- -Eric
87 325ic