Re: e30 windshield replacement

Jake,
Regular E30 (non-M3) windshields are a breeze to replace. They are not
bonded to the body and are only held in place by the rubber gaskets and the
semi-metallic strip between them. If you are so inclined and don't mind
spending $20 for the tool to guide the strip between the gaskets, you can
easily do it yourself if you have a line on the windshield. Otherwise, do
what I did and ask the local club members for a lead on independent
windshield installers. IIRC, I ended paying around $165 a PTG (one of OEMs)
glass and labor. PTG is clearer and stronger than the 12 year old sand
blasted OE windshield it replaced.
I have retrofitted the is/M3 rear view mirror with map lights into my 'i'
car. The primary incentive was to get rid of the annoying vibration of the
'i' glass that is not cushioned against the windshield. The installation
was a bit tedious due to lack of space, and would be 100 times easier with
the windshield out of the way. You will need an ETM identify the wires to
tap into to power the map lights.

HTH,
alex f
'89 325i

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           JHahn22@domain.elided |
|         |           Sent by:        |
|         |           owner-bmw@digest|
|         |           .net            |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |           01/29/02 12:33  |
|         |           AM              |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                               |
  |        To:      bmw-digest@domain.elided                                                                         |
  |        cc:                                                                                                    |
  |        Subject: e30 windshield replacement                                                                    |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hello Everyone,
Does anybody out there know how big a job it is to replace a windshield on
an
87 325i?  I'm looking at a couple different cars that both need the
windshield replaced, and I'm wondering what I'm up against.  Is this a job
that takes a lot of special tools and finesse to get right, or is it worth
it
to do it myself?  How much do the parts and labor normally run?
Also, has anyone retrofitted the Rear view mirror with map lights from an
89
to an 87 car without maplights?  None of the ones I've looked at have them,

but my wrecked 89 does.  Just curious.
Thanks in advance,
Jake Hahn
89 325i (totaled, fighting the insurance co.)
87 Alfa Romeo Spider (limping me around in the meantime)