Re: DIY Hand Tools

I have had both Snap-On and Craftsman stuff in my toolbox for the last
30 years, so I've had a chance to use both quite a bit.  If you use the
tools every day, I think
Snap-On is worth it, but of course the cost is prohibitive for most
DIY'ers.  Craftsman is OK, but a recent experience with them put me
off.  I have a Craftsman torque wrench I bought about 7 or 8 years ago.
Like much of what Sears sells nowadays, it has some plastic parts.  The
locking ring, which is one of them recently broke, so off the the Sears
Service Center I went, only to be told that
they could'nt identify the wrench in the data base, and so could not
repair it for me.
That of course is the last time I buy an item like that from Sears.

Though I don't buy a lot of hand tools anymore, I recently have had good
luck with Proto.  The local distributor sells at reasonable prices, they
have a much better selection of metrics than Sears and as far as I can
tell the quality is good.  You might consider them as an alternative to
Sears.

Dave