2001 330i: Check your jack now...

Last night I blew a tire on probably the worst night of the year here
(snow flurries, snow &ice on ground) and discovered that the orange knob
that holds the jack to a threaded hold-down in the trunk had snapped off
*inside* the jack.

Because I had driven on the flat long enough to find a nice dry parking
garage, I had pleanty of light to use the handle of the BMW pliars to
reach in the hole and flick at the plastic remains long enough to unscrew
the jack. Not fun at 30 degrees when I had forgotten my gloves at home.

Also a question for the group: while the car was on the jack (changing a
right rear) I went to raise the car another inch and the jack twisted and
dropped the car. It looked like the car landed equally on the suspension
as well as the new (unbolted) tire in the wheelwell. Should I be concerned
about damage? As best I could tell last night with the flashlight there
was no damage and it seems to drive OK. (And I don't know if it was
designed this way or not, but with the car sitting on the rear suspension
there is *just barely* enough room to get the factory jack under the rear
jacking point)
- -R
2001 330i (having a really bad week!)

- --