e36 questions

Hey all!

I just sold my e30 and now I am in the market for an e36. I don't have too
much to spend ($8000-10000), but want to get a good car for my money.

I am seeing some e36's in my price range with mileage in the range of 76,000
to 145,000. My questions for you e36 owners are:

How do you like your cars?

Are there major differences in the e36 vs. the e30?

(for instance, my 2.7 liter e30 had a timing belt. I understand the velos
motors have chains in lieu of belts?)

Are there any big things I should look out for when shopping and buying?

Thanks in advance for any private replies.

Mike Coffer