Re: Early vs. Later E36 M3

Stuart (and others who are interested),

There's nothing wrong with the '95 and '96 models.  There are several
differences between '95 models and '96+ models, including:

                 1995          1996+
Engine           3.0L          3.2L
HP               240           240
TRQ              225lb/ft      236lb/ft
Engine Mgmt      OBDI          OBDII
O2 Sensors        1             4
Wheels/Tires     235/40ZR17    225/45ZR17(F) on 17x7.5
                 on 17x7.5     245/40ZR17(R) on 17x8.5
                 all around
Final Drive      3.15:1        3.23:1

Some other comparisons, issues, concerns, and tidbits:

'95 models are easier (and cheaper) to modify because of OBDI

'95 and'96 models have narrow chrome trim around the front grilles, and have
larger side markers than the '97-99 models do.  Also, later models (98-99?)
changed the black bumper trim strip from smooth to pebble grain.  Minor
changes, but they make a slight difference in appearance.

ASC+T (traction control) was not available on '95 models, but was standard
starting in 1996.  The ASC+T throttle control on these cars is located in
such a way to limit the choice of front strutbars (if you choose to add one
at a later date).  However, there are several strut bars that will fit the
'96 and later cars.

ASC+T measures speed variations between wheels, so changing tire sizes (from
standard) can result in ASC+T mistakenly activating at high speeds (because
the speed difference between front and rear wheels makes ASC+T think that
wheelspin is taking place).  Just something to be mindful of.

'96+ models added staggered tire/wheels and some suspension geometry changes
(front caster & camber, swaybar sizing, etc) to make them 'safer' (more
understeer).  The staggered wheel/tire arrangement also prohibits you doing
a proper tire rotation. (LR->LF, LF->RR, RR->RF, RF->LR).

'96+ models have a more free-flowing exhaust system, and have a steel header
rather than a cast iron exhaust manifold

'96+ models have a digital climate control system, vs a 4-knob analog system
on the '95s.

All BMWs with the M50/S50 and M52/S52 engines (any 2.5, 2.8, 3.0 or 3.2
liter engine prior to 1997 timeframe, installed in 3-series (325i, 328i, M3)
and 5-series (525i) cars) have a water pump with a plastic impeller, which
seems to fail at around 60k miles.  Beginning in 1997, a metal impeller was
used.

Newer models (98-99) added things like side airbags, lighted shift knob,
different cup holder/console design

'95 models allow you to lock doors and close windows via the key lock.  '96+
models add the ability to also close the sunroof via the key.

'99 models have a cool three-spoke steering wheel

The sunroof in all models reduces headroom by over an inch, so if you're
tall (6'+), or are tall from the waist up, you may have trouble fitting into
a car with a sunroof.  Non-sunroof models are hard to come by.

There are standard and luxury models, with luxury models having power seats,
wood trim, M-Contour wheels, etc.  The Luxury package adds over 100lbs to
the weight of the car.

The standard sound system in all models is pretty poor.  The Harmon-Kardon
option made things better.  If you're really concerned with having a high
quality stereo, plan to install an aftermarket system.

All 3-series cars can benefit from the installation of the x-brace, which
was used on the E36 convertible and the M3 Lightweight.  Some early '95
models (9/94 build date and earlier) may not have the nutserts in the frame
to bolt the x-brace on, but they can be added.  All 3-series cars starting
in 9/94 have the nutserts installed.

Rear shock mounts on all E36 cars are weak, and will tend to wear out after
30k miles.  The E46 rear shock mounts will work as a replacement, and are
much stronger.

'96+ models have front strut tower reinforcements installed on top of the
front struts.  These can be added to the '95 models.

Overall, you can't go wrong with any of the M3s, but the newer models tend
to be a little better (running changes during production).  So, unless
you're bent on some serious engine modifications (which would make the '95
model w/OBDI a better choice), I'd suggest finding the newest model you can
afford, with the lowest mileage, and a known repair history.

Once you buy it, join the E36 M3 Digest (http://www.bmw-m.net) and learn
much more about the car.

Good luck,

Ron