Re: car stereo install questions

Mike,

I installed an Alpine in-dash CD player in my '93 E34 525iT.  In order to
install an aftermarket radio into a BMW, you just need to purchase a wiring
adapter that will plug into the factory radio connector, and allow you to
connect/solder the wiring adapter that hooks to your Blaupunkt.  So, you get
something like this:

FACTORY   AFTERMARKET    BLAUPUNKT
RADIO     ADAPTER        WIRING
CONN                     HARNESS
                                -----------
       ---  ---  <splice>  --- |           |
      |   ||   |----//----|   || BLAUPUNKT |
      |   ||   |----//----|   ||   RADIO   |
      |   ||   |----//----|   ||           |
       ---  ---            --- |           |
                                -----------

I also needed an antenna wire adapter, since my Alpine has the standard (US)
antenna wire jack, but the E34 has a smaller Euro antenna wire.

Connecting the aftermarket adapter to the radio's wire harness is very easy.
  You just match up Power, Ground, Speaker wires (LF + -, RF + -, LR + -, RR
+ -, memory power, power antenna (my 525iT has an window antenna, so this
wasn't needed).

That should do it.

I purchased my adapter from East Coast Auto Sound in Rockville, but they're
no longer in business.  You can probably get the adapter from Crutchfield.
Check out:

http://www.scosche.com/scosche/connectors/BW01.asp

Whatever you do, don't cut off the factory connector.

- -rb