E34 Heating up

Eugene,
>From the symptoms, my bet is it is the water pump and
that the cooling is RPM related.  BMW water pumps
usually have a 100,000-140,000 mile life.  The
replacement procedure my E34-M50 was not difficult.  I
suppose the M20 is similar.  The only tool you may not
have in hand is the large a wrench to fit the fan
bolt.  I bought one for my E30 325 and it fits my E34
M50 as well.  I suppose they are standard.  BY the
way, replacement in the E30 was simple too.

With the club discount, I paid about $60 for an OE
rebuilt at a local dealer (Tischer - they mail order
too).

Dan Z
Annapolis, MD
BMWCCA since 1986

"Eugene Hoe" wrote:
Subject: E34 Heating up

My E34 525i (M20) seems to heat up whenever I am stuck
in a traffic jam
or
when the car is stationary on
a hot day. I Checked the fan, and it seems both the
low and high speed
fan
is working fine. Anyone got any
ideas what else could be causing this overheating?.

Perhaps the radiator is dirty or the cooling systems
needs bleeding?.
Since
when I'm driving, the temperature
is fine so I suspect it must be the radiator that is
not doing the
cooling
job properly. Anyone got any more
ideas on what could be other causes?. TIA.

Rgds,
Eugene
E34 525i needing some cooling down....

=====