Re: Leaky 5 speed (also Getrag vs. ZF)

Jay,
RedLine D4ATF and MTL fluids both satisfy GL-4 gear oil requirements and
are generally interchangeable. Read more at
http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/mtpds.pdf
I can't identify the two fluids by smell, but I seriously doubt that either
is causing your seals to leak.
Don't know about Getrag vs. ZF though.

alex f

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Jay Karolyi     |
|         |           <karolyi74@yahoo|
|         |           .com>           |
|         |           Sent by:        |
|         |           owner-bmw@digest|
|         |           .net            |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |           01/14/02 01:04  |
|         |           PM              |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                               |
  |        To:      bmw@domain.elided                                                                                |
  |        cc:                                                                                                    |
  |        Subject: Leaky 5 speed (also Getrag vs. ZF)                                                            |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi All,

My 325i Cabriolet 5-speed had the usual transmission
oil leak, so recently when I had a shop replace the
driveshaft center bearing, I had them re-seal the
transmission.  However, it now leaks just as bad as
before.

The fluid leaking out is red and I think they put ATF
in there.  The fluid didn't have the distinct odor of
MTL.  I checked my Bentley, and it says you can use
ATF...but I'm wondering if it has a thinner viscosity
and is slipping past the seals.  Just wondering if
there's anything I should tell the mechanic when I
take it back to him.  This shop works on E30s all the
time, so I assumed they knew what to do.

Just out of curiosity, is there a certain year or
model that they used the ZF manuals instead of Getrag,
or was it just random luck?  Is the ZF rarer or more
trouble prone?  Both of mine have the Getrag I
believe.

Jay Karolyi
'88 RoyalBlau BMW 325i Cabriolet 5-speed (111,000
miles)
'87 Scwartz 325is coupe 5-speed (138,000 miles)
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/