"national backorder" (long post about a dealer)

A couple of weeks ago I posted about my bad wheel bearings on my E36 sedan.
I would like to get some folks' input on how the local dealer is handling
the parts situation:

I have a CPO warranty that runs out in a week (luckily I had a good
independent mechanic verify for me that the bearings are shot two weeks
ago; this mechanic has serviced BMWs since 1984 and used to work at said
dealer for 10 years).

So the local dealer (I'll leave their name out since the story hasn't
played out yet) agrees that, yes, the bearings are bad, and that, yes,
they'll replace them under the CPO warranty (this is the second time I've
had them replaced BTW -- they went out at ~39K, and I'm at 80K now and I
don't autocross though I do drive somewhat aggressively).

The catch is this:  I was told they had none in stock and that the wheel
bearings/hubs are on "national backorder" and they don't know how long it
will take to get the parts (this is what irritates me -- it's a database
they query -- how long does it take to find out where the parts are?  Can
someone in the know on the list who knows how this system works clue me in?)
Also, the mechanic called the dealer's parts department and was told they
had one bearing/hub assembly in stock!  (okay, so maybe it was for another
customer, or maybe they wanted to do both at the same time and save the
labor cost....)

Another dealer nearby told me they have the parts and they are not being
held for another customer.   I call the dealer I brought my car
into:  can't you guys get the parts from that other dealer?  They'll
try.  It's a day later (how long can it take to find this out?) and I've
not heard back.  I realize I'm not the only customer bringing a car in for
work, but come on!

The third party mechanic told me they could get the  parts same day, but
from an aftermarket supplier.  But the parts, no matter where the dealer
gets them from, are manufactured by the same company in Germany, FAG
(pronounced "Fog").

Is it me or is this lousy service?  Am I being unreasonable?
The dealer tells me not to drive the car in this condition (and it really
stinks hearing the bearings groan every time I drive the car), yet I don't
get the sense that they are doing everything possible to get the parts in
to fix it.

The good news:  my ignition tumbler is not working right (turns all the way
around in reverse, so there's really no "OFF" position -- they ordered a
new tumbler which has to be custom manufactured in Germany and shipped
over).   At least that will get repaired under the CPO.

Opinions anyone?