'98 540i Sport questions

John,

I have had a 98 540i sport 6 speed for the last 1 1/2 year.  The
transmission issue you mention I don't think is an issue, the transmission
in my car has been notchey since I've owned the car.  In my opinion these
are not the smoothest shifting transmissions anyway.  I plan on installing a
short shift kit soon but I'm not expecting this to make much difference in
the notcheyness of the transmission but to just shorten the throws would be
an improvement.  There is also a valve of some type on the hydraulic line to
the clutch slave cylinder that delays the action of the clutch in relation
to peddle movement.  I've beet told that this valve can be taken out of the
system and the line reconnected to the slave cylinder with minimum effort,
so I want to try this as well to see if there is any improvement in the way
the transmission shifts.  None of the other items you mention sound
indicative of any particular problem I can relate to.  Other then an AC
expansion valve failing I have had no problems with this car.  I never get
tired of driving this car it does everything so well, you won't be sorry.

Al Halpern
98 540i Sport (6 speed)