Re: '98 540i Sport questions

Hi John,

Regarding your test drive in that beautiful burgundy colored 98 540i/6 - the
stuff you mentioned doesn't really seem all that bad, but does it really
matter what any of us think?  If you're pretty serious, spend the $70-$150
and have the Pre Purchase Inspection done by a reputable dealer or BMW
repair facility and see what the expert thinks!  I wouldn't buy the car
unless the owner could produce all the receipts, either.

I LOVE those M5 wheels that you said are on it, M5 poseur-look or not, they
look great on any current model 5 series (though I'd hate to have to clean
them with all that intricate weaving of metal).  Let us know if you get the
PPI and what the results were.

As you know, I've been driving around in a 95 740i for the past 3.5 years
with a car that wasn't "perfect" when I found it, plus it had high mileage
too (61k miles at the time), and the OBC also had a verticle portion of the
time missing.  I never had the OBC fixed, and it's never been that big a
deal.  I've learned to live with nearly perfect, plus I saved a small bundle
of money buying the higher mileage car.  It's the best damn car I've ever
owned, too.

Good luck,
Steve
95 740i