E-30 engine woes

Hey all-

My '90 325 street/track car with 114K miles has a sick engine. Cylinders
4 & 5 have extensive oily gunk buildup on the
spark plugs, and #5 isn't firing at all, even with a new plug.  I don't
know the extent of the  damage as I haven't yet torn it
down. It still runs, albeit with a nasty miss.  I am going to consider
repowering the beast because it has to serve me for
another couple of years before I can afford an E36 monster. My budget is
limited, so what are your opinions (Heh, Heh,
I asked for it now! ; ) ) on options for a new power plant? Rebuild the
existing? Metric Mechanic? I am an instructor that
attends around 4 events per year, and the car sees pretty spirited
driving on a daily basis.
Thanks in advance.
- --
Mark Pedersen