Re: E34 Sound System Upgrade

Hi Tomas,

I haven't done any work on the sound system apart from replacing the head
unit on my 93 540i. I found the stock system to be very good (much better
than the stock in my 92 325!). But it sounds like it IS just the speaker
that's gone.

If you were to replace the speakers you would want to get a better quality
speaker (obviously, I know...) which would be component speaker of some type
(you wouldn't want to put a full range speaker in the footwell as it would
be a step back from the stock system) so you would be replacing the
woofer/mid in the footwell AND the tweeter up top. The issues I see are: are
the stock speakers using a passive crossover to power the tweeter and
woofer, or is there a active amplification on separater channels? I'm not
sure but I would have thought a passive crossover would be most likely. If
it is a passive crossover then you have to decide whether to just wire the
new woofers in and leave the tweeters as they are, or replace both and
whether to replace the crossover or not.

The other reason why this is intereesting is if there is additional
amplification in the car you can use a head unit without a built in
amplifier.

I'm very interested in what others have done to their systems.

BB