E34 Sound System Upgrade

I have a 1994 540iA that just had a speaker give out.  The speaker that
crackled and soon quit is the kick panel speaker in the right front.  All
other speakers work fine.  Does this mean that that one speaker died or
could I have lost a channel on the amp unit?  The speaker on the front deck
works and I think the tweeter on the door sill is also good on that corner
of the car.

If it's the speaker what recommendations do any of you have for replacing
the stock speakers?  I would imagine that replacing all the speakers would
make for a much better system.  What's the recommendation for replacing the
amp and possibly the head unit if I need to do that?

Thanks in advance for any advice the list might provide.
Tomas
'94 540iA
'93 325is