Re: 2000 323 Coupe - Lego construction project

Lew Stelmach <lew.stelmach@domain.elided> wrote:
> My BMW 323 coupe, year 2000, makes me feel that if
> someone hit it in the right spot, it would pop apart
> into all of its many plastic pieces.  It's
> put together like a Lego construction project.
>
> After colliding with a snow bank,

Lew,
FWIW, that must have been a hack of an impact. Most people have visions of
snow banks as soft foam like decorations, but all that pretty white snow
covers a significant mass of ice.

> the plastic parts that masquarade as a bumper became
> detached from each other;

The plastic parts that become detached are not the bumper. The bumper is a
metallic structure hidden behind the plastic apron.

> the plastic cowling around the front wheel detached,
> and the plastic cover under the car detached.  All of
> these plastic parts in the front end are intricately
> connected to each other.

Correct. The key piece being the plastic under tray.
The fender liner and the brake ducts are attached to it in the front.

> Knock one and they all start to disassemble.

You are right, E46 is a far cry from a true rally car.

> The BMW 323/325/328 is extremely fragile, and
> susceptible to extensive cosmetic damage following
> very minor impacts.  God help anyone who has an
> impact above the bumper, where the hood curves
> down.  There's more plastic parts under the hood
> then you could imagine.

Alas none of them are attached to the hood.
Either way, the E46 front is admittedly not much of a battle ram.

> It would be nice to replace all of the plastic
> parts in the front end of the 323/325/328 with
> metal.  At least then you could bend the parts
> back into shape after meeting a snow bank.

You've got to be kidding ...
When was the last time you saw anyone bending auto parts back into shape?

> I look enviously a the chrome metal bumpers of
> older model BMW cars.

Ok, I get it - you ARE kidding

alex f

End of bmw-digest V9 #2017