<E28> Fuel leak in my 1986 528e

I have a fuel leak in my 1986 528e that I am having a hard time tracking
down. A few months ago, thinking that it was coming from one of the fuel
injectors, I removed the intake manifold, replaced all fuel injector
o-rings, and all fuel lines in the engine compartment. But the smell is
still there, but ONLY when I turn on the heater fan motor and ONLY when I am
stopped - otherwise no smell. From where does the fan take-in air? And what
fuel lines would run across this opening? I am convinced that the leak is
NOT in the engine compartment (unless you can convince me otherwise). Any
help would be greatly appreciated!