<E28> Electrical check system not functioning (1986 528e)

A few months ago after doing some significant work in the engine compartment
(replace fuel injector rings, fuel lines, all coolant system hoses, etc),
the car started right up again, but the "CHECK" light that usually comes on
in the instrument cluster when I start the car wasn't there, and now when I
push the button on the electrical system check panel (located in the
headliner just forward of the sunroof control), nothing happens. Is there a
main fuse or relay that powers this panel/system? Where would I stat looking
to correct this problem? As always, all help is greatly appreciated!