From: owner-bmw@domain.elided [mailto:owner-bmw@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
Brendon Macaraeg
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 2:25 AM
To: bmw@domain.elided
Subject: E36 wheel bearing replacement -- how often?

Folks:

Hope all is well in the new year.

I've a '96 328i with 80K on the odometer.

I bought the car used under BMW's CPO at 29K miles April '98.
Immediately after I bought the car, I took it to an independent BMW mechanic
who told me the front wheel bearings needed replacement (I would have never
known
that slight "howling" noise was bad unless he told me).
The dealer replaced the bearings warranty.
Now at 80K I'm told I need to replace the front wheel bearings again.
I still have till 1/17/02 when my CPO warranty expires
to get my local dealer to get these bearing replaced.

Question:  how many other E36 owners have had to change their front bearings
more than once?  Is this just a symptom of the suspension design?

Also, my shock mounts are blown in the rear -- I was told these only last
about 14-20K
depending on how aggressive you drive.  True?

- -Brendon

- --