Re: Recommendations on a $3500-$4500 BMW

I would look for a moderate mileage eta engine E30 (325, 325e or 325es) or E28 (528e) from the mid-late 80s.  Neither is a particularly sporty drive, but they'll
accelerate better than a 318 from the same period, they've quite rugged--with engines that are designed to be long-lasting and get good gas mileage--and
because they aren't highly sought-after by sporty enthusiasts, they sell *cheap*.  Parts are easily available and fairly cheap (by BMW standards).  You should be
able to get a very nice example of either with mileage in the low 100Ks for comfortably under $3,000 (probably closer to $2,000), and she could use the money
saved to repair any minor things that turn up (and minor things always turn up on old cars).

There aren't many serious problems with these engines--the timing belt needs to be replaced every 45-50K (it's a ticking time bomb if it hasn't been done), and this
and the water pump should be about $400.  Air conditioning on all BMWs from the period is not great--the components don't last all that long, in my (unfortunate)
experience. But with some extra money to spend, this could be fixed as well.

Good luck!
- - Tom Stork
BMW CCA #131072
'85 635CSi,