Recommendations on a $3500-$4500 BMW

Folks;

My sister-in-law needs a reliable used car and has her sights set on a BMW.
She doesn't have a lot of money to spend. I'm thinking that a '88-'90 325i
would be about right for her. What do you guys think? This is what I'd like
to know?

- - What do you think is the best model / year for the money?
- - What kind of mileage is acceptable?
- - What kinds of problems should we look for?
- - What kinds of repairs should we want done?

For sure, we'll have a pro BMW mechanic check it out before she buys it. I'd
just like to know what to target.

Thanks in advance

Drew