Re: E30 325ES Stiff Clutch

Brad,

The E30 uses a clutch release bearing with two flat sides that keep it
positioned in the clutch fork.  The release bearing is made of a relatively
soft metal, softer than the clutch fork.

Over time, the flat sides of the release bearing begin to wear (get slightly
rounded), and, eventually the release bearing will no longer stay in proper
alignment.  As this happens, your clutch pedal will get a stiffer feel to
it.

The only way to fix it (and start the process over again) is to pull the
transmission and replace the release bearing.  While you're in there, you
may as well replace the clutch and other related components, Also, check the
rear main seal of the engine for oil leaks, and replace if it's leaking.

This has happened to my E30 318i twice in 254k miles.  Each time, I had the
mechanic save the replaced parts.  Each time, the release bearing was
damaged in the same way.

I don't know if this happens with the newer E36 cars.  You may want to check
and see if BMW made a better (stronger) release bearing for the E36 that may
also fit in the E30.

- -rb