Re: ASC - dangerous!!!!

On Dec 23, 2001, DJLogan33@domain.elided wrote:

 |I was going fairly fast with the ASC on. I came out of curve with a small dip
 |and had to turn slightly to the left while braking.
 |Apparently the ASC system felt rear wheel slippage and started cutting power
 |and/or applying brakes, which caused the rear of the car to fishtail
 |violently.

Dennis,

Sorry to hear about the damage. :-(

I'm in the process of getting rid of a '99 CLK 430 and I also have a
'99 MZ3.  The CLK has traction control and ESP (stability control).  I
have also had a few hours in open-wheeled cars so, as you, I (usually)
know what the limits are.  This is my take on these devices - take it
for what it's worth.

It is clear to me that when I am paying attention, I can out perform
the ESP quite easily.  I know this because after I make corrections,
the ESP kicks in and makes *it's* correction.  We wind up getting in a
battle correcting each other until we come to a creaping crawl (or I
give up and let it do it's thing).  I find this quite anoying, and I
thought that it could be problematic during spirited drives.

However... I have also found that under normal circumstances where the
"race car driver" button hasn't been turned on, and my wife or
daughter are doing something and blah, blah...  And then you hit that
patch of whatever or that car pulls out in front of you, these things
*work* because you are not paying 100% attention to the situation.

So, I have been saved by these devices and I do leave them on.

Incidentally, MB also has this feature where if it detects fast, hard
braking, it will go to full braking automatically.  Very interesting
feature, and one that my right foot does better... when I'm paying
attention.  But, sitting on the Tappan Zee bridge in this lousy
post-9/11 traffic, it has actually worked well for me several times.
Although, it can be embarassing coming up to that stop light that you
didn't see.  You nail the brakes and then let off because you
overreacted only to find that the car thinks otherwise.

The bottom line (to me) is that these devices are helpful, but
annoying.  I'll live with it in a street car for the added safty.

That being said, what was this you mentioned about the dealer
replacing the ASC with DSC?  What is the difference, and how did you
get them to do it?  I assume you paid for it?

Thanks,

/greg

- --
Gregory F. March    -=-    http://www.gfm.net:81/~march    -=-    AIM:GfmNet