37 degree beep

That is true.  I also think bridges always freeze before other road surfaces
do.  At least they do here in south Texas where we almost never get frozen
water on regular road surfaces.

tsp

On 12/22/01 5:37 PM, "Robert Rose" <rarose@domain.elided> wrote:

> I've got a stupid question for the group: My 2001 330i beeps and flashes
> the outside temperature when it drops below 37 degrees. The book says that
> this is a warning for possible road ice.
>
> Up until this year I've always lived in the south (Florida and Texas)
> where road ice wasn't a problem... but isn't 32 degrees the magic
> temperature?  Or does German water freeze easier? :-)
> -Rob

Okay, I'll take stab at it.  I believe the reason there is a "gong" below 37
degrees has to do with the fact that the road temperature is always colder
than the air temperature.  There may be some scientific reason that I'm not
aware of, but it's better to "gong" before it reaches 32 degrees.  Think of
it as a warning.

- - -Eric
87 325ic