ASC - dangerous!!!!

I own a 1999 M Coupe with ASC.
When it feels rear wheel slippage, it cuts power and or applies brakes to the
wheel this it thinks is slipping.

I have attended several high speed BMWCCA driving schools and know how to
handle a car fairly well at high speeds.

If you are a dead stop in snow, it might be a good thing, but if you are at
high speed, it can cause you to loose control of the car.
I am speaking from experience. I was driving my M Coupe on a twisty road with
a couple of dips two months ago.
I was going fairly fast with the ASC on. I came out of curve with a small dip
and had to turn slightly to the left while braking.
Apparently the ASC system felt rear wheel slippage and started cutting power
and/or applying brakes, which caused the rear of the car to fishtail
violently.
I could not get the car under control and drove off the road and caused $3000
damage to the car.

After the accident, I did a lot of investigation work on the ASC system.
I found numerous facts warning of it "Intervenes too harshly"
BMW replaced the ASC system with the DSC system which "detects and corrects
abnormal under or over steer conditions that can result in the loss of
control."
DSC, "helps restore directional control."

I do not recommend anyone using the ASC system, unless you are at a complete
stop in heavy snow.
I deactivate my ASC system every time I start the engine and I advise
everyone else to do the same.

Dennis