E34 535i radio code followup

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

Today I tried disconnecting the battery for about an hour and then
starting from scratch. No difference. Then I thought I'd do a little web
scavenging, and found what appears to be the solution! This is from the
E34 FAQ at http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Other/FAQ.htm:

- ---

If the correct code is not entered in the three successive tries, the
radio will not accept entry until the radio has been ON for one hour.
IMPORTANT: When entering 5-digit code number, be sure to complete
sequence number of that 5-digit code. For example: Code No. sequence is
12345 and you mistakenly enter 125 instead of 123, continue the code
number sequence of 45 to complete that entry. The radio will not operate
and "CODE" will reappear in the display. Re-enter the correct number
sequence of 12345 and operation of the radio will continue. NOTE: If an
audible beep is heard while entering the 5-digit code, STOP immediately.
Begin entering the code again, starting with the first number of the
5-digit code.

- ---

So Larry, it sounds like one day you had been driving with the radio on
for an hour and that's when it happened to take the code. If this info
is correct then obviously the radio remembers that the code has been
incorrectly entered even after power is removed.

I'm going to try this on Christmas day when we'll be driving from
Seattle to Portland. I'll have about three one-hour chances!

Steve