<E30> rough running/stalling problem

my '87 325iS is running a bit rough under load between 2K and 4K rpm. it
feels like its missing. it idles OK, and it still has good power at WOT.
then today as i was backing out of a parking space the car stalled.  i would
have the car in reverse, give it throttle & let the clutch out a bit to get
moving slowly, then put the clutch back in. the engine would blip up to ~1200
rpm, then stall on me. it did this three times. once i got the car moving, it
didn't stall again.

i checked the things that came to mind when i got home: cap and rotor are OK,
plugs aren't fouled, no vacuum leaks that i can see. in tank fuel pump and
fuel filter are 6 months old. im wondering if my air flow meter is on its way
out. has anyone had similar problems that were solved with a new AFM? any
help is greatly appreciated.

Kyle B
E30325is@domain.elided

End of bmw-digest V9 #2005