Re: flaky E30 check control panels, was bmw-digest V9 #1996

Jay Karolyi <karolyi74@domain.elided> wrote:

> Seriously though, Every E30
> I've seen has malfunctioning check lights, especially
> the window washer level and brake lights.

Jay,
Lets hear it for the "all generalities are always wrong" argument.
Case in point: my '89 325i with 200K miles and all check lights working
like a clock.

> I've been tempted to unplug the whole overhead light
> console, but it would be nice to know if my coolant
> or oil level ever got too low.

You could check those by looking at the coolant reservoir and the dip stick
;-)

> Does anybody know if these two indicators are actually
> useful and functional?

Some of them are.
Ever since I ran out of windshield wiper fluid in my old VW Scirocco in the
middle of a winter coast-to-coast trip I've been paranoid about doing 70mph
with near-zero front windshield visibility. That makes me a fan of the
washer fluid level light.
The "burned out bulb" ones are kind helpful as well.

> How can a car check it's oil
> level with the oil circulating through the engine?

By measuring the level of oil sloshing around in the oil pan (that's where
the sensor is)!

alex f

> Jay Karolyi
> '88 325i Cabriolet Royalblau 5-speed (109,000 miles)
>
> >On my '89 325iX, I get the Check light and the brake
> >light come on occasionally.  No difference in the way
> >the car runs so I have learned to ignore them.  I'm
> >thinking of putting some electrical tape across the
> >Check light.

There is a good chance you have aftermarket cheap-ass brass housing bulbs
in your light sockets. They have different resistence than OEM bulbs and
are known to trigger 'burned out bulb' check light even when all the lights
are still working.