subframe removal.

Chris
   The body shop just doesn't want to do the job.  It's a piece of
cake that you can do.  Just support the motor/trans from above.
   I lay a 4x4 accross the top (pieces of pipe along the hood creases
so the 4x4 doesn't touch the sheetmetal).
   Then I use a short length of chain and attach it to the engine
lifting hook at the front.  I jack up the motor 1/2 inch after
removing the motor mount top nuts.  Then I take all slack out of the
chain, so when I drop the subframe, the motor/trans is at about the
proper location.
   The steering box, and idler arm are just a couple of bolts, as are
the lower control arms.  The front sway bar can come away with the
subframe once the vertical bolts are removed.  The Support arm bolts
come off, and the subframe is only attached to the chasis with 4
bolts if memory serves me.
   This can be done in a couple hours.  Install takes twice as long,
but this is less than a shop day's work if you actually want to do it.
   It's been awhile since I did an E28, but I do a subframe removal
with engine in place at least 12-15 times/year.
- --
Dan Patzer the CyberWrench from BIMMERS ONLY Seattle's exclusive BMW hobby
shop
Providing O.E.M. parts, Independent service & Instruction since 1964
  12724  Marine Drive,  Marysville, Wa. 98271
72' tii touring   K1200LT   85' 732i   R850R
http://www.nwlink.com/~bmrfamly/   425-259-3601
MEMBER IBMWSP