528e Radio problem

I couldn't find anything on this in the archives, wonder if anyone has seen it....

My 528 stock radio has a very steady "clicking" noise to it. Sometimes it sounds like it even has an echo too.
When the volume is low it gets very loud, and diminishes at louder volumes. Not because the music drowns it out, it literally gets louder when the volume's down.
It's not the radio, I've tried two different units other than the original.
Could a mast problem do this? My mast is one of those that doesn't retract completely.
 I'm going to attempt that fix this weekend, but was curious if this will fix the click...click....click  as well.

Thanks for any advise

Mike