<E36> suspension checks

Hi,

I have a 96 328i w/sport package that has 67K miles on it. I am getting some
noise in the front end when going over small bumps (i.e. manhole covers) at
slow speed. It sounds like something in the front suspension is getting
loose and is worst in the winter. I also notice increased movement of the
steering wheel when going over small bumps. My ride seems a bit more harsh
than before but this could just be my imagination.

I had my mechanic do a quick check of the front end when he was putting on
my snows last weekend he said everything looked OK, struts were not leaking,
control arms looked OK etc. I had new ball joints put in earlier this year
and he said things were fine then too.

Are there any checks of the front end I can do myself to check struts,
control arms strut mounts etc.

Thanks for the help!

Dennis