Re: radio/cd player

I believe on '96 E36 models and newer you are locked into
BMW's CD changer units (they're manufactured by Alpine -- the
connection they use is proprietary, e.g., not an standard DIN connector
found on other manufacturer's CD changer units -- they're might be
an adapter available though).
Your radio head unit is also most likely made by Alpine (as are the factory
alarm units).

Look for a plug in the trunk marked "CD Ready" or check the options list of
your car if provided to you
If so, the wiring is already in the car -- you just need to buy the CD
changer for the trunk and find
the connector and plug it in.  Fairly easy (I did this myself when I bought
my 328ia used).  You can find the CD changers used on Ebay for ~$200
(or check the www.bmwcca.org site classifieds :
http://www.bmwcca.org/classfd/old/CLASSIFIED_frames.shtml).

Check http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/bmw_e36.html
under the stereo section for more info.