radio/cd player

I bought a used 1996 318ti bmw.  It doesn't have a cd player but a nice
radio with an option to put one in the back.  I am wondering what make this
radio is and what cd players I can add.  I am also wondering if it would be
in my best interest to purchase a new unit and put it in since technology
has changed.  If you buy a unit to attach to it in the back is it only fm
quality?  I would prefer stereo quality and a one cd at a time unit in the
front is okay too.    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,
K.