Re: Birth Certificates for old BMWs

Here's the deal.  You can get the basic information from BMW Mobile
Tradition for free.  If you want it on a nice parchment paper to
frame, you can buy it for something like $90.  For a short time this
past summer, they stopped offering the information for free, but they
got a lot of push back and resumed the service.  To get the info,
send an email with your request including your VIN to:

historisches.archiv@domain.elided

If you want the fancy version, you can get it from:

http://www.bmw-online.com  and pay by credit card or call
1-888-BMW-Online (269-6654)

In either case, note that all you get (at least for a 1972 2002tii)
is the original color, the manufacture date, the shipment date and
who it was shipped to (in most cases for the old ones, it's just BMW
of North America).  I like knowing the manufacture date, but
otherwise it's just for posterity.

Carl