Re: BMW's biggest quality problem

Ed's concerns are valid, but the problem comes from the system of
dealerships, and the amount of oversight BMW exercises (or, to be more
accurate, doesn't exercise).  Not all dealerships are as bad as the one Ed
describes, and I can only assume that there is no alternative dealer in his
area to which he can take his business.

I have been going to the same dealer for almost 15 years now. I've purchased
four cars from them, and have also had three others that I didn't purchase
there serviced by them.  While their service department is not perfect, they
have never given me the kind of grief Ed received.  For example, once they
assumed that I wanted an oil change when a car was in for some other service
because it was due; I didn't, because I change my own oil.  The result was a
free oil change, and I didn't even have to ask or complain.  I always get a
loaner car if I want one, even when I'm having a car repaired that I bought
somewhere else.  I once had a free loaner for a month when my 635CSi needed
a new transmission, and it had to be backordered from Germany.

I also would never accept the kind of repair times Ed experienced. TWO
WEEKS?! to diagnose (wrongly) and replace an exhaust?  When the tranny came
in for my 635, my dealer replaced it, and the drive shaft, and the rear
shock mounts, and some other minor work as well, in three days.  And I can
usually get an appointment as soon as the next day, and never more than a
week away.

Part of the problem, as I said, is that BMW does not regulate their dealer's
service departments, beyond certain very basic requirements. But another
part of the problem is that consumers tolerate this kind of behavior, when
they should be voting with their dollars and their feet.  Go somewhere else.
When enough people do, the quality will either improve, or the business will
fail, and someone else can give it a try.  Heck, if I had to drive overnight
to some other town and wait for one day while my car is fixed properly, I'm
way ahead of the game compared to weeks without my car locally (with no
loaner to boot).  Problem is, people don't see it that way, and tolerate way
too much crappy service.

My .02 cents.

Mike Barrett
BMW CCA 111632