RE: E36 comments

Nicolas.Roman@domain.elided [mailto:Nicolas.Roman@domain.elided] wrote:

> Make sure the car comes with the metal impeller on the water
> pump... plastic impellers will give out and take your radiator
> with them at around 50-70k (at which time your warranty may
> have expired....

Not to worry, all post '96 E36 cars come with either a metallic or a new
indestructible plastic water pump impeller.

> I assume that you will have the remaining of the fact warr
> until 50k that gives you about a year and a half....

It's 4 year 50K mile warranty, so the factory warranty will expire some time
next year.

> i strongly suggest you buy an extended warr good til 100k...

The car comes with a CPO warranty, so any extended warranty (a monument
waste of money IMHO) would be redundant.

> also, check the differential and its links, depending how
> hard this car has been driven, those could give in early....

The '96+ non-M3 3-series cars with traction control all have open
differentials. I never heard of any E36 diff problems.

Robert, here are the miscellaneous issues I've run into with my wife's '98
328i (also with sports package):
- - numerous door seals were pealing or tearing off. All replaced under
warranty.
- - rear door locks failed. One replaced under warranty, another one waiting
for it's turn.
- - intermittent "brake circuit light failure" message on the OBC. Likely the
brake pedal switch - replacement pending.
- - BMW battery failed after 2 years and 2 months in service. It's only
warranted for 2 years, so the dealer tried to sell me another replacement
Douglas battery for $250 in parts and 1 hour of labor! I bought a $125 gel
cell battery (Ultima?) instead and replaced it in under 10 minutes with
trunk kit tools.
- - one rear shock failed. Both were replaced this spring. One of the
replacement shocks now squeaks and groans - replacement pending. As a side
note: all 3-series BMW/Boge shocks are junk after 50K miles. You may get
them replaced under warranty, but the real solution is buying Koni's out of
your own pocket.

That's it.
The car has 45K miles and has been

good luck with your purchase,