RE: Newbie questions

The temp guage pointing straight up is about where it
should be.  Doesn't sound like cooling problems are
present.

I recently go the radio codes from the dealer locally
for my 88 325is for $15.  The charge was for them to
pull the radio and get the serial number.  They now
have the number on record, so if I need it again,
there will be no charge.  All in all, not unreasonable
for the work that they did.

For a manual, find a Bentley's for your car.  I have
the Chiltons, Haynes and Bentleys, and I'm not certain
that the Chiltons was worth the $5 I paid for it at a
used book store.  Haynes is not much better.  Both are
garbage compared to the Bentley manual.

Tim

>Subject: Newby with questions
>
>Hello
>  I just bought my first BMW car (used).Its a 92 535i
>with a 5 speed and factory alloys.The car appears to
>well cared for,though its showing 161K miles.I paid a

>very good price for it as it was an "unclaimed
>impound."
>  My previous experience with BMW cars was rebuilding
>a 2002 engine as well as some chassis,driveline,and
>suspension work.There was also some work on a 320i.
>Both cars belong to a friend.(he still owns both).
>I bought a new R60/5 in 72 and kept it for several
>yrs.
>
> 1)The 535i runs with the temp. gage at about 1/2 its
>   range(straight up).Is this normal? or it
>approaching
>   over-heating?
> 2)If its near overheating,are there any likely
>trouble
>   areas?(fresh thermostat,belts good,coolant topped
>up)
> 3)any recomendations for parts,owners manual,shop
>   manual,etc?
> 4)Other than the expense of a dealer,is there a way
>   that the codes for the audio system can be
>obtained?
>   (oddly enough,I did get the "new owners" audio
>tapes
>    with the car)
> 5)What sort of longevity could I expect from this
car
>   at 161K?
> 6)What should I check or be watchful of,at this
point
>   in the car's life?

=====
Tim Piscitelli